Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hunger Game

 An audio version of this post can be found at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLZOqHkCcwA&feature=youtu.be


 "... and that one is gone!" said the MLB announcer. "Prince Fielder just launched one over the berm behind the right-field fence."
   A cheer broke out in the bar.
   Hank gave Dottie a quick hug. "How about that?"
   Dottie smiled. "That was exciting."
   Uncle Billy was just in the process of taking a drink of his beer when Eb slapped on the back. "Waddya think?"
   Billy wiped foam off his chin. "I think it doesn't mean anything ... it's only an exhibition game."
   "Come on, Bill ... a homer is a homer ... and the one Fielder just hit was majestic."
   "When he does it with a real game on the line, I'll get excited," said Billy.
   "By the way, Eb, where is Becky?" I asked.
   "She's volunteering at the food bank today," answered Eb's mother, Mary.
   "Oh, really?" I said.
   Eb looked a little sheepish. "Yeah ... she volunteered at work ... she wanted me to go, too."
   "How come you didn't?" I asked.
   "I didn't want to miss the Tiger game," said Eb.
   Billy shook his head. "It's only a lousy spring training exhibition game."
   Eb shrugged his shoulders. "Hey, I haven't seen any baseball since ..."
   "Since they got swept in the World Series?" said Billy.
   "Yeah," said Eb.
   "Well, I think it's great that Becky volunteered to help," said Dottie.
   Hank nodded in agreement. "Yeah, we should all do that."
   "Why don't we?" said Mary.
   "What? Volunteer to help at the food bank?" I asked.
   "Yes," said Mary. "All of us as a group."
   Billy set down the beer he was drinking. "Hey, don't include me in this hippy-fest."
   "Come on, Uncle ... it'd be good for you to get out and do something for the community."
   "I'll bet Clara would join in," said Mary. "How come she's not here anyway?"
   Billy folded his arms and shrugged. "How would I know? I'm not her keeper."
   "Didn't you let her know we were going to be here?" asked Dottie.
   "She didn't ask ... and I didn't tell," said Billy.
 

2 comments: