Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Star Crossed

  "Thank you so much for taking the time to read this." Clara slid the manilla envelope across the table toward me.
  "Oh, it's no problem ...  happy to help out." I opened the envelope and pulled out the manuscript and glanced at the title, Star Crafters. "What's it about?"
  "Well, it's about a young girl, Leith, who learns that the new boy, Rex, who just moved in next door is really part of a family of aliens from the planet Xercon ... she fears for her safety until she the boy saves from a gang of bullies and she comes to find that his race is benevolent and trying to help mankind from themselves. Leith and Rex fall in love, but must part because his mission has ended and he has to return to Xercon. It really sets up the sequel."
  "Oh, really ... sounds interesting."
  Uncle Billy appeared holding a tray. "Three senior coffees." He set the tray on the table and sat down. "So, are the authors getting to know each other?"
  Clara picked up one of the coffees. "I just gave your nephew the book."
  I patted the manuscript. "So, Clara, tell me, how did you happen to get into the ... ah ... this particular genre?"
  "Well, I've always wanted to write a book, and Bill was telling me about how successful Irv Nesbaum has been with non-fiction ... "
  "He's taking off like a rocket," said Uncle Billy.
  "... but that's not really my thing," Clara continued. "I read that young adult romances and science fiction were both hot areas ... so, it seemed logical to combine the two."
  I picked up a coffee, took the lid off and blew on it ... to give me time to digest what Clara just said. "I guess that makes sense."
  "Yes. I'm sure if I package it properly it'll be successful."
  "Gee, it sounds like you've done your homework ... what do you want me to do? I mean, I'm not exactly the demographic you're looking for."
  "I know, but you're an author ... I just need a professional's reaction to the structure and pacing."
  I sat up. "You've read my books?"
  Clara blushed slightly. "Well, no ... but your Uncle told me you were published."
  Uncle Billy shrugged his shoulders and I sank back in my seat. "I'm pretty busy right now ... I'm not sure how long it'll take me to read this."
  "Oh that's okay ... I'm not in any hurry ... even if you don't get back to me until next week ..."
  Next week? I looked at the stack of pages. If I started reading it today it would take me a month at least. I leered at Uncle Billy. He shifted his gaze out the window. "I'll do what I can, Clara."

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, have to love those moments! Time to become the master skimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex: You be mighty right ... the 20,000 foot view will become 50,000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have said, "Great, while you purchase and read my books, I'll read yours." :)I mean, really?

    As authors, what is the politically correct thing to do? I mean, you want to encourage others, but sometimes it gets uncomfortable.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH!!! yep, buy the book, read the book and then, MAYBE, we'll talk!

    I high school friend of mine just asked me to review a CD she put out. I don't like banjo music and I certainly don't know how to write a review about it. "I turned the volume up and the sound of the banjo got louder..."

    the CD is just sitting there, on my desk, staring at me, begging me to insert it - but I just can't seem to muscle the strength to do it. perhaps, after wine.

    oh, here from the Insecure Writers, don't like Banjo, Support Group.

    best, Shannon aka Green Monkey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciara: Good advice ... and yep, Uncle Billy can make it very uncomfortable.

    Green: Hey, that's a great review ... your friend might think it somewhat cynical, but everyone else would think it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me laugh. You're probably not laughing, but I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen: Not yet ... but then I haven't read Clara's MS.

    ReplyDelete